Like a fish to water

Kayla broke her leg today. Yesterday. Oh, I'm so sleep deprived I can't keep the days straight.

Yesterday Eri and I celebrated our 18th anniversary. Very low-key, just being married and enjoying its benefits (especially children). We went to visit my sister, and brought Kayla's bike and protective gear so she could practice in Beki's gigantic yard and cul-de-sac.

I spent some time making sure she hadn't forgotten everything. We did a few runs, then she came inside for water. I stayed inside to eat a cookie. Next thing I know, I'm taking her to the hospital.

There is an embankment right next to the place she was practicing. When she starts to lose control, she puts her foot down. It looks like she rode into the embankment and put her inside foot down. That launched her up the embankment a bit. The bike fell down. One end of the handlebars went into the embankment, twisting the whole assembly around. Of course that whacks the opposite leg hard.

We went to an urgent care center. They triaged us first in line and got us right into a room. They took X-rays; between the screaming with every little movement and the pictures, we decided to try to get a cast. They gave her some Motrin for the pain.

When we got to Arnold Palmer, she was feeling better. She loved tooling around in the kid wheelchairs. She identified her pain face on the low end, and we got triaged last.

What are we going to do tonight, Brain?

An hour or so later, we were in a room. They told us they didn't have any casts here: they only used splints. They hooked Kayla up to a pulse monitor; she named it "Pinky".

They X-rayed her again. We waited for hours. We finally got Kayla asleep. In the middle of the night, the orthopedist was finally down to us. We woke Kayla up for a quick examination. The doctor told us she would be putting on a cast.

I'll spare you the details. We didn't get out of there until 1 AM. 7 hours total. We stayed out till 4 AM (daylight saving jumped ahead, too) getting food (oh, I'm so mad at Burger King -- don't post hours you're not going to keep. And turn the lights off, dammit) and obtaining the pain reliever we knew she would need in the middle of the night.

Today was much more difficult that you'd think. We got a wheelchair for her -- bigger than we expected -- cleaned up the house enough to let it get around, and spent most of our day distracting Kayla from her pain. Or carrying her to the potty. Or trying to get her to take the Tylenol with codeine.

I'm busy. I'm going to try to keep up with stuff, but the family takes precendence. Enjoy yours while you can.